Norwegian People's Aid is a humanitarian organisation rooted in the Norwegian Labour Movement. We work with International Development Partnerships, Humanitarian Mine Action, Rescue Service and First Aid, and Asylum and Integration. Norwegian People's Aid has about 12000 members in Norway and 2400 staff worldwide. We work in 36 countries around the world, and in 2017 we will have an expected turnover of 1000 MNOK.
Human Resources and Administration Manager, South Sudan
Are you someone who enjoys a challenge? Are you able to work with a diverse team and provide them with management support with a human touch, while at the same time being systematic and focused on compliance?
We are looking for an experienced HR and Administration Manager with strong management skills for our programme in South Sudan. Based in the country office in Juba, the HR and Administration Manager will be an important part of the management team, and have the responsibility for managing the HR and Administration operations in NPA South Sudan.
Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) has been involved in humanitarian work in South Sudan since 1986 and the programme is one of NPA's largest country portfolios. The Country Office is located in the capital Juba. From there NPA runs three multi-sector programmes in Humanitarian Relief, Food Security and Livelihoods and Civil Society Development, with an annual turnover of approximately 15 million USD. There are about 200 employees in the organisation, and our activities are dispersed throughout the country.
The situation in South Sudan is currently challenging. NPA is committed to work in solidarity with the South Sudanese people through our programme-activities. We are now looking for a person to further structure and develop our Human Resources department and work with the management team to advance the organisation.
The HR and Administration Manager is formally responsible to, and reports to the Country Director (CD) of NPA South Sudan, under the International Programme Department at Head Office. All responsibilities and reporting has to be carried out in accordance with NPA rules and regulations.
The HR and Administration Manager is the head of the department for human resources and administration. The general responsibilities of the position include:
- Responsibility for the development and implementation of HR- and administrative policies, procedures and systems in NPA South Sudan and ensuring that these are in compliance with both South Sudan’s legislations and NPA standards.
- Playing an active role in the development and management of the NPA South Sudan Programme as part of the Senior Management Team.
- Ensuring coherence with NPA policies in HR and administration throughout the operation, with particular emphasis on empowering managers to ensure compliance.
- Building capacity within the national staff HR team.
- Developing HR management tools, including any necessary databases, in order to ensure that the programs are efficient and effective
- Organise effective communications of all HR policies, systems and procedures to staff, and monitor the implementation to ensure they are being followed by managers and staff.
- Responsible for the organisation’s liaison with relevant government authorities on administrative issues, such as visas, stay permits, travel authorisations, registration and other issues relevant to administration and/or HR.
- Other duties as assigned by Country Director.
- Relevant bachelor degree, preferably in management, business administration or other relevant management field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Human Resources and Administration.
- 3+ years’ experience in management, having led teams in the field of HR management and administration in an international NGO or international organisation.
- High level of organisational skills and good knowledge in developing systems, procedures and tools.
- Excellent skills in handling and advising on complex people management issues.
- Experience from working within a multi-cultural environment.
- Good writing skills and proficiency in English language.
- Good computer skills.
The following qualifications are desirable and will be an advantage, but are not requirements:
- Experience from conflict- and or post-conflict settings.
- Experience in HR- and admin work in operations that include remote management of staff in field-locations.
- Norwegian or other Scandinavian language skills and/or knowledge of local languages/languages spoken in the region.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural/multi-national setting.
- Energetic, proactive and ready to take on new and big challenges.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact, diplomacy, discretion and impartiality.
- The ability to work well under pressure and to delegate systematically while retaining leadership-responsibility.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Good team player and positive attitude: sees opportunities where others see only challenges!
In addition to base salary, our salary package for this position includes post allowance, hardship allowance and a hazard allowance specific for South Sudan*.
- Accommodation: NPA will provide free accommodation.
- Leave: We recognize the harsh conditions of working in the South Sudanese context and the need for time off to recuperate. We have an R&R rotation system in the programme, and in addition we offer five weeks' annual leave**.
- Flights: NPA provides three international flights per year in addition to contract start and end flights.
- Insurance: You will be covered by NPA's comprehensive insurance package which includes travel insurance, group life insurance, accident insurance and worker's compensation insurance.
- Health checks: Will be provided in connection with assumption of duty, and on an annual basis.
- Contract: A one-year contract with possibility for renewal.
Place of service: South Sudan.
Closing date for applications: 3 December 2017
Starting date: As soon as possible
We emphasise the importance of strong health, cross-cultural communication skills, creativity and the ability to work under pressure and in difficult conditions. One of NPA's overall objectives is to promote gender equality in the organisation. Thus, female candidates are encouraged to apply.
* Terms apply according to NPA's internal regulations
**Terms for annual holiday follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Magnus Flacké, Advisor South Sudan, +47 473 09 990, epost: email@example.com
Hanna Mollan, Country Director South Sudan, epost: Hanna.Mollan@npaid.org
Vennligst henvis til Jobbdirekte i søknaden din.