Warner Bros. Discovery, a premier global media and entertainment company, offers audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, streaming and gaming. The new company combines WarnerMedia's premium entertainment, sports and news assets with Discovery's leading non-fiction and international entertainment and sports businesses.
Senior Manager, Broadcast Operations
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
The position is responsible for the delivery and management of broadcast facilities and technical operations in Norway for the Eurosport and Free-to-Air sports portfolios, across all linear and digital platforms. The role supports local productions for Norway as well as production support for other Nordic countries. In addition, the role manages relationships with technology vendors and freelancers for broadcast operations, supports Production colleagues with key projects such as planning and delivering live broadcast events and expanding digital requirements. The role is responsible for planning and implementing the technical set up for the Olympics according to the production, editorial and content strategy. This position is based on a Monday-Friday working pattern but includes an on-call status to respond to broadcast emergencies and will require support for live events at weekends and overnight. The role reports into the Regional Operations team in MT&O via the Senior Director of Broadcast Services in Sweden.
- To deliver current and future requirements of the WBD Sports and local Norway business for Broadcast services inclusive of the FTA and Eurosport portfolios
- Responsible for the full operation including studio production, post, Commentary and MAM
- Understand the requirements for the delivery to evolving Digital platforms
- Produce and deliver business cases and presentations to illustrate market needs
- Negotiate agreements and manage technology vendors through personal relationships and formal Service Level Agreements, with an emphasis on maintaining superior quality of service and operational reliability
- Build and maintain a team of trusted freelance engineers and operators
- Review any issues, identify any trends; partner with other departments to manage issues through to resolution
- Support the Norway business with preparation and delivery of Summer and Winter Olympics services and other major sporting events including technical setup and building and implementing technical workflows
- Partner with other Nordic teams to make bast use of shared facilities
- Oversee and ensure appropriate processes, documentation and SOP’s are in place and kept up to date for internal teams and freelance operators and crew.
- Proactively build relationships with key personnel in Sweden, London and Paris
- As part of the wider Regional Operations team, collaborate with peers and derive benefit from the many shared challenges.
- Liaise with Finance in the preparation of regular Forecast updates and the annual Budget process for MT&O Opex and Capex
- Lead, coach and develop staff including setting and monitoring delivery of team goals
- Comprehensive technical awareness and able to converse effectively with technologists and engineers
- Extensive experience and in-depth understanding of broadcasting multiplatform TV services and the associated operational processes and workflows
- Knowledge and experience with the latest IP based broadcast production systems and processes
- Knowledge of cloud hosted production systems and operations
- Knowledge of the DTH, Free-to-Air and digital platforms in the Norway market
- Knowledge of building infrastructure systems including resilient power and HVAC
- Able to engage in the process of best practice business management in the department, identifying opportunities for improved services and cost reduction
- Confident at presenting at all levels
- Financial awareness. Able to manage MT&O departmental and project budgets
- Good at building strong relationships
- Strong leadership skills. Able to appoint and motivate a team
- Excellent people management skills
- Commercial experience including contract negotiation, contract management and SLA’s. Able to be a central commercial relationship owner with technology vendors
- Familiarity with procurement processes
- Strong facilitation and organisational skills
- Able to manage situations personally and through a team, while knowing when it is appropriate to escalate an issue
- Able to lead projects, including knowledge of best-practice Project Management techniques
- Experience in live production techniques, including sports events
- Able to travel on business from time to time
- Excellent English and Norwegian communication skills
- Application of Corporate Social Responsibility and able to comply with the WBD Code of Ethics
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability or any other category protected by law.
If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.